13. World War II Observation Tower
The government established a network of civilian airplane spotters whose duty it was to thwart any Axis sneak attack such as had befallen us at Pearl Harbor. Over 1.5 million volunteers maintained watched the skies over American during World War II. The duty of an air spotter is to watch for two hours and identify all planes and supply the information to headquarters. The Delran Township Committee received an invitation from American Legion Post 146 to attend the dedication of the newly erected “Enemy Observation Post” on July 19, 1942. This tower was constructed to over look the Rancocas Creek on the site of the current Knights of Columbus located on Bridgeboro Road. Many local men and women like Iva Wills of Bridgeboro shown below, spent time watching the skies until radar made these local spotters unnecessary.